Monday, November 2, 2009

Which Choices Should I Make?

I want to be in Connection C12 again in the spring but the Biology Class is around five to six close to seven. I am ok with it but my mom is not. She does not want me to be out that late. I am eighteen. I know what I should do and what not to do. Why can't she just trust me? I am not a little girl anymore. I am a pre-adult or some may say adult now. I know that in my mother eyes I will always be her little girl but I also want to have my choices, especially in my choices of classes for college. I understand that it is the Vietnamese's tradition that female should not stay out so late at night by herself, but I also want to be an American. I want to keep the tradition but I also want to add in some of American's tradition. She has already stop me from driving just because she is afraid I might get hurt, even though I pass my driver test on my first try without mistakes. She also does not want me to hang out with my friends after school. I respect her wishes because she is my mother. My grandfather taught me that I should keep the tradition but he also believes that we cannot keep away from the American's traditions either because we are living in the country. Yet, my mother does not share the same opinion. What should I do now? I want to take Connection C12 but my mother does not want me to. Another thing is that I already talk to Dr. Sorin to have the permits for Connection in spring. I am so confuse. I do not know what to do. Which choices should I choose? If I do as my mother wish again then she will be happy but I am not comfortable, but if I do not do as my mother wants then she will be mad at me. I am totally confused and frustrated. I asked most of my friends and they told me I should do what I feel comfortable with; it is my education. I am the one who is studying not my mother. This is America not Vietnam and my mother need to deal with it. My father on the other hand, after I ask him, say just do as my mother please then the family will not be in a huge conflict. Be a good girl and let my mother have her way. She knows what is best for me. I know my mother knows what is best for me but she did not go to college and study my field or study with Connection. How can she see what an opportunity it is for me? I like to meet new faces but I am also comfortable with have some familiar faces in the classes too. L I do not know which choices is the best one.

Total words: 498

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. It is really hard to choose which world to live in. Your mother is afraid she might lose you if you become too much americanized. I think you don't have to worry too much. With time, everything changes. One day, she will realize she has to let you live your life.

    ReplyDelete